Saturday, November 10, 2007

The American President

This has been one of my "mostest" favorite movies. I can watch it any time. I own it but, if it comes on TV, I am always tempted to watch it with commercials and all. It is somewhat a modern Cinderella. I get at the edge of the bed (I like watching movies in bed) every time there is a romantic scene or a leadership debate. Besides their reconciliation scene after the State of the Union speech, my favorite scene is the argument between Lewis Rothschild and the President. I thought I'd share that with you:


Lewis Rothschild: People want leadership, Mr. President, and in the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership. They're so thirsty for it they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

President Andrew Shepherd: People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

At my church, we take leadership very seriously. Not to brag but, we have a very solid group of smart leaders. This scene from the movie reminds me how desperate people are for answers to their life pains, frustrations and failures. They are willing to go anywhere in search for those answers, and be it that they may drink the sand either because they can't see anything else or because they might not know any different; it is our job as leaders to step in. We have to step to the mic and share the good news we know.

I know the difference between a mirage and water, JESUS is. I know what I need to quench my thirst for life ambitions, dreams, struggles, shortcomings... the Living Water, Jesus.

And whoever drinks of this water, will never thirst again!

3 comments:

Heather Palacios said...

Good word, friend - I've seen that movie a dozen times, missed that scene's significance every time. Thank you!

Pris said...

Great post Danisa! One of my favorite movies as well. Thanks for giving me a reason to watch it again. Much love...

Anonymous said...

Well said, mamita. I think we just found our first woman president in you...You sure know how to say things...That's another reason why I'm so proud of you.
On the other hand, I'm stuck everytime the movie shows on TV cause then I'm forced to watch it again!!! ha ha..I do like it though. I love what's-her-name?'s acting...Love ya! Keep on writing.

Jorge Suarez