Thursday, November 01, 2007

A story about building walls, defeating giants, a Book and a Spirit

A long time ago, a guy was asked to build a wall around his city to protect it from the enemy. There was a little problem, he didn't have enough time, man power or the resources to do it. What amazes me is that in spite of the difficulties, he managed to get the job done.

Many times we see the difficulties. We focus on the problem, on the impossibilities. This particular situation reminds me that God is not asking for miracles from us. He is asking that we believe He can. He is not asking for super powers, he just asks for passion and obedience. The beauty of it all, we do see miracles and super powers in action!

This particular guy came up with an idea: If EVERYONE built a wall in front of their own places with their own resources and families, the job could get done in record time and completely. They did.

This is what I see about this man:
  • He was able to hear what God wanted for him/of him
  • He was able to believe he could do something about it
  • He had the passion to pursuade others to believe it also
  • He had the energy to make others act on it
As I reflect on my own life and what God wants of me, I wonder if I could build this wall for real. Do I see the wall as a powerful undefeatable giant or do I see it as an opportunity to glorify God? Do I really trust God to provide the resources to defeat my giant? A Book and a Spirit don't sound like much some times. But when I try it, it is always more than sufficient!

__________ (fill in the blank with me, whatever the name of your wall/giant; and say) I come to you not in my own power, but in the Power of God Almighty! You are defeated in His name!

1 comment:

Heather Palacios said...

Girl, you are speaking my language. Nehemiah is the man, man! Thanks for using him to inspire us.